A classic Easter Bake made healthy. Healthy Wholemeal Hot Cross Buns enriched with buttermilk and naturally sweetened with fruit and honey. Talk about delicious!
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 100g sultanas
- 325ml buttermilk
- 1 dessert apple, grated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 250g very strong white bread flour
- 250g wholemeal bread flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- Hot Cross Pastry:
- 6 tbs plain flour
- 5 tbs water
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Place the orange juice in small saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for about 3 or 4 minutes to reduce by about half. Add the sultanas and set to one side.
- Warm the buttermilk for one minute on high power in the microwave. Stir in the grated apple and honey.
- Stand mixer: place flour, yeast, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and salt into the bowl. Briefly mix with the dough hook.
- Add buttermilk mixture and sultanas in orange juice.
- Mix until a smooth elastin dough forms – 5 to 10 minutes on speed 2 of stand mixer.
- Check your dough using the windowpane test.
- Hand kneading: alternatively, place flour, yeast, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and salt in a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture and sultanas in orange juice and mix into a rough dough.
- Dust a work surface with flour and knead by hand for 10 minutes until you have a smooth and elastic dough.
- Place the dough in a large, greased mixing bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 ½ hours until doubled in size.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and divide into 16 pieces, approx. 75 to 85g each. Shape into balls and place on a baking tray fairly close together and flatten each ball a little.
- Cover with greased cling film or a clean tea towel and prove for one hour in a warm place.
- While your hot cross buns are proving, make your hot cross mix. Sift the flour into a jug, add the water and mix well until you have a smooth paste.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- When your hot cross buns are ready for the oven, pipe or use a spoon to form the crosses on your buns.
- Place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush with honey or maple syrup for a shiny glaze and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Don’t forget to tag us on the photo of this amazing recipe! For more inspiration, click here.