During the festive season, there is nothing better than getting together with family and friends to enjoy some good food and refreshing drinks. What we might not realize is how many calories are actually packed into those drinks. You see; I always assumed my Christmas bulge came from overindulging in all of the delicious foods my family dished up, which is somewhat true. However, I didn’t even consider the sugary alcoholic beverages I was also consuming. If you want to be more mindful of your food and drinks this festive season then this is the article for you. We are in the Christmas spirit so we have 10 healthy holiday cocktails recipes just for you!
Low Fat Eggnog Recipe
From Daily Burn
- 2 cups skim milk
- ½ vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg
- 1/8-teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup white rum or bourbon
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of the milk and the vanilla bean pod and seeds to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg yolk, condensed milk, corn starch, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl until light yellow.
- Gradually pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, then pour it back into the pan. Stir constantly over low heat with a wooden spoon until the eggnog begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the remaining 1/2-cup of milk. Transfer the eggnog to a pitcher; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the vanilla pod. Spike the eggnog with alcohol if desired, and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
Apple Cider Sangria
- 1 bottle white wine
- 2 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1 orange, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Chop apple and orange and place in the bottom of pitcher with pomegranate seeds. Add in wine, apple cider, cinnamon sticks, vodka, honey, and cinnamon. Stir and serve with ice.
Apple-Cranberry Holiday Wassail
From My Recipes
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- ½ cup honey
- 18 whole allspice
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 strips orange rind
- 1 ¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Combine cider, cranberry juice and honey in a slow cooker. Place allspice, cloves and cinnamon sticks on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely, and place in slow cooker. Add vanilla bean and citrus rinds; cover and cook on LOW 5 hours.
- Remove sachet, vanilla bean and citrus rinds from slow cooker; discard. Pour in rum, and reduce temperature to WARM. Cover; serve directly from the slow cooker.
Passion Fruit Cocktail
From Daily Burn
- 4 ounces passion fruit puree
- a shot St-Germain Elderflower Liqueur
- 10 ounces brut Champagne
- Raspberries, for garnish
Divide passion fruit and St-Germain into 2 chilled flute glasses. Top with champagne. Garnish with a few raspberries.
Rosemary Gin Fix
From Cookie and Kate
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1-½ ounces gin
- 3 ounces club soda
- In a small drinking class, muddle the fresh rosemary, lemon juice and honey
- Fill the glass with ice, then pour in the gin and top with club soda.
- Give it a little swirl with a spoon. That’s it!
- 1/3-cup light pomegranate juice
- 1-tablespoon limejuice
- 1-ounce rum
- ¼ teaspoon stevia
- 1/3-cup champagne
- Pomegranate seeds
- In a glass, add pomegranate juice, lime juice, rum and sugar. Mix well.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes and top it off with champagne and pomegranate seeds.
- 2 parts Vodka
- 2 parts low-sodium tomato juice
- Splash of fresh lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce
- Celery salt
- Celery Stalk
- Squeeze fresh limejuice, dash of Worcestershire sauce (to taste), dash of hot sauce, and sprinkle of celery salt.
- Stir in vodka and tomato juice
- Garnish with lime, cucumber and celery
From Betty Crocker
- 1 tablespoon chopped gingerroot
- ¼ cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons white cranberry juice
- 1-tablespoon lime juice
- 1 lime wedge
- ice cubes
- In the bottom of the cocktail shaker, muddle gingerroot. Add ice, vodka, liqueur, cranberry juice and lime juice; shake until blended.
- Pour into a chilled martini glass, straining out ice and gingerroot.
- Garnish with a lime wedge
Red Wine Hot Chocolate
- 1 ½ cup skim milk
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/3-cup dark chocolate chunks
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and chocolate chunks.
- Whisk until chocolate is melted into milk and you have thick, creamy chocolate milk. Pour in red wine and heat until everything is hot.
- 3 persimmons
- 1-tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-tablespoon maple syrup
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/8-teaspoon salt
- 1-cup water pinch of cinnamon
- Juice from ½ lemon 1-ounce vodka or bourbon
- Club soda, for topping off
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut the persimmons into quarters and coat them in coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Spread them onto a baking sheet and garnish with thyme and salt. Roast for about 25 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Remove from oven and allow persimmons to rest.
- In a blender, combine persimmons with water and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Shake with lemon juice and favourite spirit and top off with club soda before serving.